INFOLINK announces a 2007 calendar year contract award to the Old Bridge Public Library for a model incubator project called “Senior Spaces.” This unique project focuses on a major audience impacting libraries -- older adults. The budget for the project is $20,000 – $10,000 of which is from INFOLINK.
Allan M. Kleiman , Assistant Library Director of the Old Bridge PL, shares, “What is different about this project is that we will be developing programs and services for ALL three generations of older adults—the baby boomers not yet retired, older adults who have retired in the last few years, and the elderly many who can no longer get to the library. We literary are building this space and the program from the bottom-up.”
What can INFOLINK members expect from this demonstration model?
· Web based documentation of the project to track its development and results.
· A workbook/manual to allow other libraries to develop their own “Your Space,” step-by-step.
· Collaboration with the Old Bridge staff, INFOLINK administrative staff and the Diversity Committee .
· Invitation to a phase one Senior Spaces launch at the Old Bridge Library on May 31, 2007 and more informally thereafter.
· Presentations at targeted programs and conferences.
· An outcomes-based evaluation at year’s end.
INFOLINK is enthusiastic about this new project and supports the focus to redefine library services to older adults .
Some stats from Allan in his project development:
· In 2000 there were 1,443, 800 New Jerseyans aged 60 and over. By 2025, it is projected that the population will number over 2.5 million in this age group. While the national average is 13.5%, New Jersey already has over 17.2% of the population over 60.
More than half (58%) of the New Jersey population 60 years of age and older in 2003 resided in seven counties: Bergen , Ocean, Essex , Middlesex, Monmouth, Hudson and Union . Four of these counties comprise the INFOLINK Regional Library Cooperative: Essex , Hudson , Union and Middlesex.
About 60% of New Jersey ’s minority population 60 years of age and older in 2003 resided in four counties: Bergen , Essex , Hudson and Union and in addition, Middlesex had the largest percentage (8.5%) of Asian and Pacific Islanders over the age of 60.
Cheryl O'ConnorExecutive Director, INFOLINKEmail to: email@example.comTel: 732-752-7720 Fax: 732-752-7785 Toll free: 866-505-LINK Fax: 800-793-8007 Web: http://www.infolink.org CD&L: #2301
Post a Comment